The country team is responsible for:
Commercial, Economic, and Financial Affairs:
- Advise U.S. businesses on local trade/tariff laws, government procurement policies, investment climate, economic trends, and issues of natural resources.
- Negotiate trade and investment agreements and assist to resolve trade/investment disputes.
- Analyze/report on macroeconomic trends, trade policies, major financial developments, and local natural resource trends and policies.
- Promote adoption of economic policies by foreign countries which further U.S. interests.
Agricultural and Scientific Matters:
- Promote U.S. agricultural products and report on agricultural production and markets.
- Monitor animal and plant health issues that affect U.S. agriculture and trade.
- Analyze/report on developments in the environment, science, technology, and health areas.
Political, Labor, and Defense Assistance Issues:
- Analyze/report on political developments and their potential impact on U.S. interests.
- Promote host country of foreign policy decisions which support U.S. interests.
- Advise U.S. business executives on the local political climate.
- Promote labor policies to support U.S. interests and report on local labor laws and practices.
- Provide security assistance, promote defense cooperation, and advise U.S. businesses on local military issues.
Legal and Immigration Matters:
- Advise the Ambassador and other U.S entities on criminal matters.
- Administer immigration benefits and the laws regulating the admission of foreign-born persons (aliens) to the United States.
Development and Humanitarian Assistance:
- Execute USAID assistance programs.
- Provide humanitarian assistance in response to natural or man-made disasters.
- Analyze/report on development and humanitarian issues.
Public Affairs: coordinates media, cultural, and education programs, and acts as the primary spokesperson for the Mission.
Consular Affairs: Issues visas and provides services to American citizens.
Administrative Support and Security Functions: Administer business and security operations.